As you all already know, this is the most popular smartphone OS in the world at the moment, although this is like wasting your precious time to read something old. I want to write something like a review regarding this OS, maybe it will make you know what is the best smartphone for someone you care or for your children to learn about smartphone, even for the first-time user who wanted to know about this OS but didn’t know who you want to talk to or giving you an advice about this matter. I will only give you a review regarding Android OS version 4.x and above, because Google already up the Android OS version to 4.x. There is nothing wrong to review the newest OS than the old one.
Structures of android OS are like this:
Linux kernel used for Android Ice Cream Sandwich and above are 3.x, this is a core of the system. It uses as a basic programming system when the application come in touch with hardware, the main purpose of the kernel as a bridge between application and data processing on hardware level.
Hardware Abstraction Layer(HAL)
This is a new interface in Android OS ICS and above. HAL created Ato address the need of high-performance native applications. The Android HAL wraps the Linux Kernel drivers to create a layer of abstractions for native application to access hardware specific application to a mobile use profile. HAL main purpose of the system are to simplify hardware integration for OEM and device manufacturers.
As all of you already know, library are a place where the book located. In the Operating System, Library is a collection of implementation of behavior to simplify the application process. The purpose of the library in the OS is to link the library with the appropriate application in order to make application running as it should be. For example, when we using a calculator application, the OS will link the application with the math library for math function of the calculator.
The Android Runtime is where the application running. Dalvik Virtual Machine are Java programming language interpreter, its function is the same with Java Virtual Machine, it chosen because it runs better in an embedded-environment. Dalvik VM supports a standard set of core Java API, because above Android Runtime, everything is written in Java Programming Language, which is an important part of the Android system environment to make the android application running.
This is a layer that has been written entirely in Java that provides the building block for the application developer. All of these pieces is important to the OS. This is where the application developer can use the framework to make a specific application with the help of the framework.
This is a layer where the application running, the application framework provided the application with the specific framework to make them running properly. All of the applications are written in Java, that is why Dalvik VM is important, it is needed to interpret the application.
B. Features and system
This is the list of the features that is already on the Android 4.x and above:
- Multitasking : As stated, Android using multitasking features that will make it run multiple application at once.
- home screen folder : User can use this to put on the user his or her favourite apps into a folder right onto the home screen.
- Network Data Control : In the setting menu under the category of Data Usage, user can control how much of the network data usage they can use.
- Face Unlock : For security purpose, user can use the front camera to lock or unlock their Android Smartphone
- Google Now : An intelligent personal assistant, it is made to counter Siri, An Apple-based intelligent personal assistant, although I think Siri is more powerfull than Google Now.
- Android Beam : An NFC functionality purpose to share photo and video. It can use to connect the Android phone and tablet instantly.
- Project Butter System : This is an Android team project to make android interface will be as smooth as the other competitor, it will help to erase lag in Android device.
- Daydream Mode : A display mode allows app to display interactive screensavers, ranging from photo album to Currents stream when your tablet or phone isn’t being used.
There is a lot of new features in Android 4.x and above, I think this is the most important features.
Android OS is the most famous mobile OS right now, it has a lot of features that can not be written here, I can only say that this is the best mobile OS right now. There is many vendor that support Android OS, such as Sony, Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, and local vendors. It is already housing above 500,000 application on its google’s playstore, that makes user have a lot of choices of software. Because android is an open source, there is a lot of options to make your android device different from others with a lot of launchers and themes scattered across the store application.
When there is an advantages of the OS, there is also a disadvantages of the OS. There is nothing perfect in the world except when a God interferes and create something.
- Many vendor support android, making the user has a lot of choices of devices as well as affordable price.
- Wide variety of application in the Google’s playstore.
- costumizable homescreen with a widget and a lot of launcher as well as themes.
- Support from the developer, as well as an official application such as facebook app, youtube app, instagram app.
- Bigger processor and RAM usage with octa-core and 2 GB of RAM, making the Android device are the only device can rival notebook or Personal Computer in term of processor and RAM.
- A lot of personal features of the smartphone created by vendor for their own android device.
- Many of the device on the low-end device and entry-level can’t experience the Android OS as good as mid-end and high-end device.
- wide variety of applications resulting with a lot of junk application as well as malware.
- lag and force close that happen in many of Android device are result from poor memory management of the Android OS, even if we use it for daily usage. Butter project system is the answer for Android OS developer to counter this issue.